Thursday, December 11, 2008

Deep Solitudes

Thirteen weeks of Basic Military Training has finally ended and before penning down any of my thoughts, I want to thank the group of people around me who have constantly encouraged me and cared for me during that grueling period of time. Frankly speaking, without all your words of concern, I really would not have been able to make it through most of the difficult moments along the journey of my BMT.

If I were to start talking about all my unforgettable experiences from the many major components of Basic Military Training, I believe that many people would probably start to lose interest. Therefore, in order to avoid that, I have summarised my reflection into short parargrahs.

Before enlistment, many of my friends had told me that people like myself, who have been through disciplined trainings back then in our uniformed group, will easily survive the regimental life of military training. However, I did not want to agree to that initially and I had chosen to go through anything that comes to me with an open mind and a positive attitude. Now that I have been through the entire BMT, I would somehow agree to what they have said. In fact, training itself was not much of a problem if one chooses to do his best. But what gave me the pain was the unexpected outburst of Chicken Pox during the first few weeks in camp.

Frankly speaking, these three months of training was not much of a smooth-sailing experience for me as a result of the two weeks of Attend C status that I have gotten. I have to admit that that period of time was one of the most painful time in my life and of course in my BMT days, as my primary concern of being out of course then after surviving through the two-weeks confinement period in camp, kept haunting me every single night. For that reason, I had broken down in tears for several occasions, for I had felt that life was very unfair to me.

Thank God, a special person was there with me and she has provided me with a lot of support especially during the days when my morale was very very low. There were various points in time when I felt like giving up, but it was her encouragement which had pushed me all the way. Right now, it is probably too difficult to overstate my appreciation to her and therefore, I have already told myself that, in the future, I will never ever do or say anything that will hurt her in any ways. I promise.

BMT on the whole has made me less of an individual and more of a member of the section, platoon and company. Basically, to be equipped with basic soldiering skills is one thing that everyone has acquired, but to be able to meet and know several good friends is another. Through it, I have finally learnt to grow up and appreciate my family, my friends and the the people I love, more.

Overall, I can say that I have enjoyed myself for the past three months. Especially during the Parade, which was held almost immediately after the overnight 24km Route March, there was undoubtedly a sense of pride and elation on the face of everyone present. Even after the ceremony, the strong spirit of camaraderie can be easily detected. Here are some photos that were taken during the Graduation Parade held on the 10 December 2008, a day to remember, for life.

POP!
Group Photo 1
Group Photo 2

Confinement Buddy

Falcon Company Platoon 2 have been through all the tough times together, all the punishments together and of course all the fun times together. I know, and I will always say, all the good times that we shared will end, but the good memories that all of you have given me will stay with me. Now that we have passed out from BMT together, I hope that each and every single one of us will be posted to the unit that you all want to go to. Not forgetting, a big thank you to the commanders as well. The successful completion of our BMT would not have been possible without the dedication, care and professionalism of all of you. All the best, and till we meet again.

No comments: